What is a Young Carer?
It is estimated that there are approximately 177,000 identified Young Carers in the UK. It is believed that the actual number is far higher.
A Young Carer is a child or young person under the age of 18, who provides some level of unpaid care to another family member. And they can sometimes be as young as 5 years old.
Young Carers are children and young people under 18, whose lives are restricted in some way because of the need for them to give care to another person (usually a family member) who is either ill, has a disability, is experiencing mental ill health, is affected by alcohol or drug misuse, or has a condition such as HIV/AIDS.
The difference between young carers and other young people who help in the home is that young carers are often responsible for someone else in their family – in a way that most other young people aren’t.
What Young Carers could be doing?
- Domestic tasks washing, shopping, cooking, cleaning
- General care, giving medicine, assisting with mobility
- Intimate care washing, bathing
- Childcare – looking after brothers and sisters
- Emotional support listening, helping other family members to feel OK
What’s the effect?
- Feeling “different” and isolated from their friends / peer group
- Lack of time for homework, play, sport or leisure activities
- Feeling that no-one understands or listens
- Conflict between their needs and those of the person for whom they are caring, leading to possible feelings of resentment
- Health problems including headaches, stress related illnesses, lack of sleep, stress, anxiety
- Underachievement at school
What support do we offer Young Carers?
Need to speak to someone about young carers why not contact…
Young Carers Support Co-ordinator
Tel: 01702 393933
If you wish to register a Young Carer, please fill in our online form or if you prefer you can print the registration form Young Carers Registration Form – if you do not have printer, please call us and we will pop one in the post for you.
ONLINE COUNSELLING AND WELLBEING SUPPORT
Kooth.com is a website that young people can use to get advice, support and guidance from qualified counsellors (UKCP and BACP accredited) via a live chat service or from young people of their own age via moderated forums for any problem, no matter how big or small, it is available on any internet enabled device.
As a Young Carer do you feel like you need somebody to talk to about how you are feeling – it’s a SAFE, ANONYMOUS and MODERATED service for Young People – Find out more here…
THE BETTER LIVES PROGRAMME
Thanks to funding from the People’s Health Trust, we run a support programme for Young Carers called “Better Lives” for Young Carers aged 5-18 years old. Better Lives was launched in March 2018 and currently offers the following:-
Weekly After School Club 5-16 years – In order to accommodate the different age groups and tastes of our Young Carers, our Weekly After School Club runs for 6-8 weeks and then changes venue and activity every half term. If you are registered (online form) as a Young Carer with us, your parents will be notified about new clubs via email or you can follow us on Facebook where we post information about each club. For our latest clubs, see below:-
- All In Music Club for kids who love music and it will run every Monday from 4th March to 15th April – Click here to book
- Due to the size of the music studio, places are limited to 6 children – If we are oversubscribed, names will be put in a hat and drawn by Monday 25 Feb latest
Monthly Fun Event (MFA) 5-16 years – Our MFA is usually held on the last Saturday of the month and based on feedback from our Young Carers, we put on a variety of activities within Southend to suit all tastes. Again, if you are registered (online form) as a Young Carer, your parents will be notified about new MFA’s or you can follow us on Facebook where we will also post information about each event. For our latest MFA, see below:-
- Fantastically Fun Comic Book Workshop with Richy K Chandler – Saturday 30th March – Click here to book
- Join Writer, Illustrator and Comic Creator, Richy K. Chandler (Lucy the Octopus, Wallace & Gromit, Amelia the Fox) in a fun interactive workshop, as he shares secrets of character creation and story telling, building up to you creating your very own comic strip!
- Youth Forum – 13-18 years – Our Youth Forum is a Monthly Club held on the last Tuesday of the Month, where your salary is pizza and your bonus is organising days out for your team – Click here to book
- Creating a quarterly digital newsletter – Designing a Young Carers promotional leaflet – Meeting external groups to talk about being a Young Carer… you and your team get to choose and arrange your own social events on a quarterly basis!!!