What is a Young Carer?
It is estimated that there are approximately 177,000 identified Young Carers in the UK. It is believed that the actual number is far higher.
A Young Carer is a child or young person under the age of 18, who provides some level of unpaid care to another family member. And they can sometimes be as young as 5 years old.
Young Carers are children and young people under 18, whose lives are restricted in some way because of the need for them to give care to another person (usually a family member) who is either ill, has a disability, is experiencing mental ill health, is affected by alcohol or drug misuse, or has a condition such as HIV/AIDS.
The difference between young carers and other young people who help in the home is that young carers are often responsible for someone else in their family – in a way that most other young people aren’t.
What Young Carers could be doing?
- Domestic tasks washing, shopping, cooking, cleaning
- General care, giving medicine, assisting with mobility
- Intimate care washing, bathing
- Childcare – looking after brothers and sisters
- Emotional support listening, helping other family members to feel OK
What’s the effect?
- Feeling “different” and isolated from their friends / peer group
- Lack of time for homework, play, sport or leisure activities
- Feeling that no-one understands or listens
- Conflict between their needs and those of the person for whom they are caring, leading to possible feelings of resentment
- Health problems including headaches, stress related illnesses, lack of sleep, stress, anxiety
- Underachievement at school
What support do we offer Young Carers?
Need to speak to someone about young carers why not contact…
Young Carers Support Co-ordinator
Tel: 01702 393933
If you wish to register a Young Carer, please fill in our online form or if you prefer you can print the registration form Young Carers Registration Form – if you do not have printer, please call us and we will pop one in the post for you.
ONLINE COUNSELLING AND WELLBEING SUPPORT
Kooth.com is a website that young people can use to get advice, support and guidance from qualified counsellors (UKCP and BACP accredited) via a live chat service or from young people of their own age via moderated forums for any problem, no matter how big or small, it is available on any internet enabled device.
As a Young Carer do you feel like you need somebody to talk to about how you are feeling – it’s a SAFE, ANONYMOUS and MODERATED service for Young People – Find out more here…
THE BETTER LIVES PROGRAMME
Thanks to funding from the People’s Health Trust, we run a support programme for Young Carers called “Better Lives” for Young Carers aged 5-18 years old. Better Lives was launched in March 2018 and currently offers the following:-
Weekly After School Club 5-16 years – In order to accommodate the different age groups and tastes of our Young Carers, our Weekly After School Club runs for 6-8 weeks and then changes venue and activity every half term. If you are registered (online form) as a Young Carer with us, your parents will be notified about new clubs via email or you can follow us on Facebook where we post information about each club. For our latest clubs, see below:-
- Young Carers Arts & Crafts Club for kids aged 5-11 years and it will run every Tuesday from 23rd April to 23rd July 2019 – Click here to book
SUMMER HOLIDAYS WILL SOON BE HERE!!!
- Wondering what to do with the kids during the Summer Holidays? Well we’re here to help with our Forest School Summer Club for Young Carers!
- For kids who love playing outdoors, they’ll get the chance each week to try all sorts of fun stuff including bug hunts, den building, making woodland crafts, playing woodland games and much more – the only limit is their imagination! Places are limited each week, so don’t delay – Click here to book
Monthly Fun Event (MFA) 5-16 years – Our MFA is usually held on the last Saturday of the month and based on feedback from our Young Carers, we put on a variety of activities within Southend to suit all tastes. Again, if you are registered (online form) as a Young Carer, your parents will be notified about new MFA’s or you can follow us on Facebook where we will also post information about each event. For our latest MFA, see below:-
FREE JUNE FUN FOR YOUNG CARERS!
- Who doesn’t love a game of 10 pin bowling? Come along to our bowling party where we’ve got lanes reserved exclusively for our Young Carers to bowl to their hearts content. They can also work up a hunger to enjoy party refreshments together at the end – Click here to book
FREE JULY FUN FOR YOUNG CARERS!
- A fun indoor AND outdoor event for Young Carers aged 5-15 years where, depending on your age, activities could include anything from Team Races, Musical Warm-ups, Traditional Party Games, Parachute Games plus Football, Uni-hoc, Battleball, football and much more besides. Party cake and refreshments also included. What’s not to like?? – Click here to book