Planning for the future

Page updated on 18/10/2021

Carers Contingency and Future Planning

We advise all carers to create a contingency  plan with the person they care for, to use in circumstances where help from other people to deliver care may be needed. Depending on the circumstances, this could be help from family or friends, or a care provider. 

In order to create an contingency plan that fits the needs of the person you care for, you will need to set out: 

  • the name and address and any other contact details of the person you look after 
  • who you and the person you look after would like to be contacted in an emergency 
  • details of any medication the person you look after is taking 
  • details of any ongoing treatment they need 
  • details of any medical appointments they need to keep 

You should also ensure that it is in a format that can readily be shared with other people who will need to discuss the plan with the person you care for. 

If you do not have a Carers Contingency Plan, and you would like one, please email us at Or call us on 01702 393933 and leave a message, and we will call you back. You will need to be registered with Southend Carers to make an Contingency Plan. If you are not yet registered with us, please complete our Adult Carer Registration Form. 

If you urgently need help with caring for someone, or are concerned about someone’s safety, call Adult Social Care Services on 01702 215008, or 0345 606 1212 out of hours, or Children’s Services Southend on 01702 215007 

The Local Authority have reassured us that there have been no significant changes to their assessment processes. However, please be aware that this might change. 

The Government is advising carers to prepare for an emergency. This is an extract from Guidance for those who provide unpaid care to friends or family: 

Further information can be found at Carers UK. 

You may be able to arrange help and support from family and friends, but it can be reassuring to have the involvement of your local authority or healthcare provider in case informal arrangements fall through. 

You can also find information out about local services on the Carers Trust website