Page updated on 06/05/2020
If you cannot safely leave your home to get food, medicine and other essential supplies, supermarkets and local businesses are increasing the number of home delivery slots available more details below. Alternatively ask family, friends and/or neighbours for help.
If you have no local support you can get help from one of the following;
- Southend Coronavirus Action – Call 01702 212497 open Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm, and Saturday to Sunday 10am – 2pm. They have a friendly team on hand to answer your questions, or help you get the support you need, whether it’s a few essentials from the shop, or a friendly regular telephone call for a chat, to make sure you’re alright.
Southend Coronavirus Action is a collaboration between Southend-on-Sea Borough Council, Essex Public Health, Southend Association of Voluntary Services (SAVS), South Essex Community Hubs (SECH), local Facebook group owners and volunteers.
If you would like to volunteer with Southend Coronavirus Action follow the link for details https://consult.southend.gov.uk/Project/4024 and please join and share their Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/SouthendCoronavirusAction
- Essex Coronavirus Action local help for Essex residents outside the Southend-on-Sea Borough this is a collaboration between Essex County Council, ECC Public Health and local Facebook group administrators.
- Essex Welfare Service (EWS) Any vulnerable person unable to get help within their local community can register online essexwelfareservice.org or call 0300 303 9988 calls will be answered Monday to Friday 8am-7pm, and Saturday to Sunday 10am-2pm.
GPs are contacting their most vulnerable patients by text to offer the Essex Welfare Service. This service is part of PROVIDE; a health and social care provider delivering the Government’s national programme to get food and supplies to most vulnerable residents. Distribution hubs are in Southend (Southend -on-Sea Borough Council), Witham (Essex County Council) and Thurrock (Thurrock Council).
Many home delivery slots are reserved for people who are on the government’s clinically most vulnerable list. If you did not receive a letter from the government but believe you have a medical condition which qualifies, you can register at www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable . There is a checklist of eligible medical conditions and you will need the following details; address, contact details, NHS number. For further advice contact your GP.
Supermarkets are working hard to increase the number of home delivery slots for everyone. Local businesses are also increasing their service to meet demand including some restaurants and cafes now offering a takeaway or home delivery service.
Volunteer shopping cards
Alongside the social distancing measures supermarkets have implemented, many have introduced ‘volunteer shopping cards’ designed specifically to help at-risk customers pay friends and neighbours who shop for them. Aldi, Asda, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose have introduced specific volunteer shopping cards. Morrisons recommends buying its usual vouchers.
Oakhouse Foods and Wiltshire Farm Foods offer home delivery of frozen ready meals and are taking new customers online and telephone orders;Oakhouse Foods 01708 688 644 https://www.oakhousefoods.co.uk/
Wiltshire Farm Foods 0800 077 3100 www.wiltshirefarmfoods.com/
Local Businesses providing home delivery
- The Essex Herb Company – Text messages only to Ms Pippa Crane on 07793 317207 theessexherbcompany.co.uk
- F. Collins & Sons – 01268 777497 – https://www.nfcollinsandsondairies.co.uk/
- Southend Groceries – 01702 353407 – 07507 456194 – https://www.southendgroceries.co.uk/ Choose the food you want, and the shop you want it from email@example.com
- Southend Foodbank – https://southend.foodbank.org.uk/ Foodbanks partner with a wide range of care professionals such as doctors, health visitors, social workers and police to identify people in crisis and issue them with a foodbank voucher.
If you can’t afford food, you can call 01702 456352 or 01702 456354 to speak to Citizens Advice Southend, a referral agency partner of Southend Foodbank about getting a voucher. You can also email them at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Southend Carers can make referrals to our partner charity Citizens Advice Southend.
- Age Concern Southend (as of 5/5/2020) – 01702 345373 – email@example.com – The team are co-ordinating care packages for anyone over the age of 60 in desperate need. These rely on the kind donations from the local community.