Young Adult Carers are between the ages of 18yrs – 25yrs, and look after a relative or friend, of any age, due to disability, chronic/terminal illness, mental health problem or an alcohol or drug addiction / dependency.
It is estimated that there are 229,318 Young Adult Carers aged 16-24 in the UK and this is 5.3% of all people in that age group.
What issues do they face?
- Conflict between needs of the cared for and their own needs.
- Lack of recognition, praise or respect.
- Problems juggling education, training, employment and home life.
- Tiredness/difficulty concentrating.
- Lack of time for social activities.
- Problems moving into adulthood (finding work, their own home and establishing relationships).
- Not having much free time – leisure and recreational opportunities are limited
- Stress and anxiety issues
Meeting other young adult carers in a similar situation can be a great way of knowing that you’re not alone as they understand the restrictions and impact it can have on lives. Carer to carer support can also be a great way of sharing experiences and supporting each other when times get tough.
If you know of a Young Adult Carer or are a Young Adult Carer who would be interested in joining the group, please give us a call on 01702 393933.